Tuesday, May 27, 2014

6 months!

05/27/2014

Ok I'm a little late on posting about my 6 month follow up appointment with my surgeon from Friday.  Well it started off great!  I got my usual nurse who is a sweetheart and she couldn't believe the weight loss.  She was telling me about another girl that works in the office that had it around the same time as I did and only lost 10 POUNDS!!!! I'm sorry but that's devastating!  The nurse was saying how this girl eats Wendy's and steak, things of that nature.  I can't even tell you the last time I had fast food, and I'm afraid to eat steak because ground beef doesn't agree with me.  Its harder for your stomach to digest.  I was completely horrified, why would you put your body through all that and not keep up your end of the bargain? 

With any kind of bariatric surgery, these things are just tools whether its the gastric sleeve, lapband, or gastric bypass.  You have to completely change your lifestyle.  Its extremely daunting at first but with the help you have from your surgeon it makes it a lot easier.  My surgeon's office gave me a whole set of guidelines to follow for up to 8 weeks following surgery.  I was still a little nervous post-op about what to eat so he gave me a script to go back to the nutritionist I had seen before surgery if I wanted to.

I can't even explain how it felt to have my surgeon walk right passed the room I was sitting in waiting for him because he didn't recognize me at first.  He couldn't believe it!  It was a tremendous feeling, 85 lbs down since the morning of surgery!  Just 6 short months all that weight gone forever!  I'm not a total Nazi with what I eat but I am very much aware of everything that I put in my body, and getting in my activity.  He told me he wished all his patients got it like I did. 

So I've set a goal for myself to be able to run Tough Mudder this coming October.  I've done TM before but I don't want to walk any part of it, that is my goal this go around.  I started a half marathon training app and it felt amazing.  While running I couldn't help but think how incredible it felt to be able to run like that.  How I never would have ever been able to do that prior to this surgery.  I've got the mindset and the determination to get this done!

It's only the beginning, can't stop won't stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment